Senior Portraits in NYC – What to Wear: Tips for Selecting Your Wardrobe
A lot of people ask what they should wear to their senior photo session? After all, these photographs will become a staple in your family frames and albums for years to come. Choosing timeless, yet appropriate attire will lend to the positive outcome of your photo shoot.
Since our senior portrait sessions are outdoors, you can opt for bolder colors, earthy or contrasting tones, such as big stripes paired with a solid color. Pinstripes or small dots generally do not photography well. Wearing accessories can add a nice touch, but try to avoid accessories that are too big as they may overshadow your face.
Here are some general tips to follow for selecting your wardrobe:
- Choose soft colors, such as pink, light blue, lavender, yellow, etc. for dreamy looks
- Choose bold colors such as red, black, dark blue, purple or orange for dramatic looks
- Minimal accessories and patterns are best, as too big or too many can detract from the image.
- Do feel free to bring a few small props with you like a hat and sunglasses… These are an easy way to change the mood and add some variety.
- Avoid character t-shirts, shirts with sayings, etc.
- Don’t forget the shoes and socks. Guys, avoid wearing white socks with dress shoes. Make sure your shoes are clean, not raggedy or muddy. Barefoot photos can also be fun! For the girls, boots, heels, sandals or dress shoes look great.
Does getting dressed up and being pampered and spoiled sound appealing to you? If so, go all ou!
Many of our seniors hire a personal hair stylist and makeup artist before their shoot, in NYC getting recommendations shouldn’t be too hard.
If you are comfortable with doing your own hair and makeup, that is entirely your choice. You can also bring someone you know to do it for you, as we know you may have already established relationships with hair and beauty stylists.
Our goal is to capture the real you while offering a diverse portfolio and selection that reflects a variety of poses for you to choose from. You can choose to bring a couple of outfits (we recommend no more than 3, 2 is ideal)
Just remember, this session is all about you, so we recommend not wearing anything that would take the focus away from your personality by being too bold or distracting.
★★★★★ | Toni B. – Senior Portrait NYC Client
Roy is the ultimate professional when dealing with his clients. My daughter immediately felt at ease with him and the session went smoothly.
We are from Georgia, so Roy was great at picking out locations for the shoot. We had a great experience and received so many beautiful photos it was hard to make a decision!
This is an experience I would recommend to Seniors traveling to NYC.